Sunday, July 22, 2012

Update to the Canned Salsa Taste Test

The original post on this topic can be found here.

My husband and I decided that the only way to definitively decide which was our favorite salsa was to do a side-by-side taste test for comparison. Individually, we liked each one.

I made the family quesadillas, using my normal recipe. We divided our quesadillas into four triangles and tried one salsa on each triangle, saving the last triangle for our favorite.

The results were surprising. Both of us were in unison about our choices. We liked number one the best. This is the one I had said was soupy, and not very eye-appealing. But, oh, the flavor! Wow! It is definitely the one I will use to make the last of my tomatoes into salsa.

Our second choice was number three. It is the spiciest, and the simplest to make. It was second best tasting.

In a side-by-side comparison, number two was our decidedly least favorite. I hasten to say that we like it when we don't have the others to compare with it, but with the others there, I almost don't like it at all.

As I said, the results surprised us.

Since number one recipe is something I obtained from our local county cooperative extension, I will post a recipe when I have time. (I know that I owe y'all a recipe for pear relish, too.)

Note: Those jars of salsa were not full when we started. They were the little bits left over after canning the others. 

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting how you can be surprised when comparing things that you've tasted before? I've had similar experiences myself. I have to say I'm now very keen to make that salsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I were both surprised. I'll publish the recipe as soon as I get a moment to type it into the computer. :)

      Delete
  2. Your salsa test appeals to the canning geek in me! Looking forward to reading about the winning recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. diaryofatomato, it appealed to the canning geek in me, too. I have had a blast--canning one recipe each day for several days. So much fun! And then you get to eat the fruits of your labors. :)

      Delete
    2. You have me convinced to try the recipe... waiting for it :)

      Delete
    3. Natalie, Thanks for reminding me. I have to get that typed in. :)

      Delete