Thursday, July 12, 2012

Canning Pear Relish

This has never happened to me before. I ended up with almost 2
pint jars of relish left over. I didn't plan for that much, so I couldn't can it.
I had to refrigerate it, and now I will have to eat it up pretty quick. 

Boiling, Boiling
The five pints I was able to process in a water bath canner. 

A close up on the finished pear relish.
Pear relish is an unusual thing made with red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, onions and pears in apple cider vinegar. (That's not the recipe. I am sure I left a few things out.)

It tastes pretty spicy and savory. There is not much sweet taste to it.

As far as I know, it is mainly eaten over "peas and butterbeans." I have also tried it on white rice and like it very much. On white rice, the taste resembles sweet and sour Thai sauce that I have had in a local Thai restaurant.

In the past, my recipe has always made 5 pint jars. Today, I could have canned 7 pint jars, but I only had 5 sterilized and only had 5 canning lids ready. Any canners out there have suggestions about this for me for next time? 

4 comments:

  1. I am not a canner but wanted to say that the recipe sounds delicious! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures in Agriburbia, this is my second year of canning. I love it-- the concentrated effort, the smells of cooking ingredients, carefully placing the jars in the water bath canner, the "ping" of successful work. And then, of course, unusual foods that could only come from your garden. :)

      Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  2. I do all my preserve canning it recycled jars with recycled lids (eg old jam jars etc). Basically what you put your leftover bit in. To steralise a clean jar I put it in a 150 degree oven for about 15 minutes and to steralise the lids I put in boiling water for 5 minutes. I don't usually water bath them after either and I've never had any problems. Depending on the recipe I store either in the cupboard or the fridge, usually the cupboard as most have enough vinegar and sugar to preserve without refrigeration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I'll refrigerate that leftover bit. It should be okay.

      Delete