Friday, June 29, 2012

Passion Fruit Vines Both Red and Purple

Some of you may remember the story I posted back in April, when Dot Dot gave us Passion Fruit Vines.
Well, I had to pull all of my Scarlet Runner plants. Between the 15 inches of rain and the winds we received during Tropical Storm Debby, they were toast. They just looked terrible.

In a way, I was sad to see them go, because they attracted hummingbirds, but they really looked too sloppy for the front yard.

With the Scarlet Runners out, you can see the Passion Fruit Vines pretty clearly. I am pretty excited about it, because the two taller vines are red flowered Passion Fruit Vines. The center one that you can see in the second picture is purple. And all of them are really healthy looking. Dot Dot even told me that they look as if they will flower soon! Yay! (I'll take pictures of their beautiful flowers, if I get any.)


The vining plants to the back of the picture are Red Flowered
Passion Fruit Vines to the left and Purple Flowered Passion Fruit
Vines to the right. They have different types of leaves. The purple
ones have three pronged leaves. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh I am looking forward to seeing their blooms - such amazing flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I agree with you--the flowers are amazing.

      Delete
  2. I can not wait to see their beautiful flowers! I have never seen a red one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ever seen one in person, either. I Googled it when I got the flowers, so I have an idea what they look like, but I haven't seen it in person.

      Delete
  3. OH, wow. Would Love to add some lovely passion fruit vines to my garden. I've got some nice toasty brick walls that are just begging for something a little exotic. Will these vines fruit or do they just produce those wonderful flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fruit, though Liz-Suburban Tomato told me that some types that taste better than others. I tasted the fruits from the purple ones last year, and I liked it, but it is an unusual taste. I have no idea what the red ones taste like.

      Wouldn't some passion fruit jelly be nice? I would love to make some, but it probably won't be this year.

      Delete