Thursday, April 3, 2014

Close Up Views of the Spring Garden

By the front door. 

Crimson Flowered Fava beans. I just love this plant! It is stunningly
beautiful, has the most heavenly scent and (if I am lucky) gives me
seeds to save for next year. 

Pipevine plant. I added this plant to the butterfly garden because
Pipevine Swallowtails use this plant exclusively to host their caterpillars. 

Overloaded peaches on the tree. I need to thin. I have been working
on it, but all the limbs are covered that completely, and it is
taking awhile to get it done. 

Overwintered Swiss Chard with garlic in the center. I covered
the Chard over and over during the winter, and am hoping to
save seed. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! You must read a lot! Will you be eating part of your overwintered swiss chard or just saving the seed? I thinned my peaches out one year and then some more fell off later. Not sure why. Am thinking about waiting a bit before I thin mine this year. That is if it ever gets warm enough to even blossom! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read a lot. :) I can't decide whether to eat part of the overwintered Swiss chard or not. I definitely want to save seed, so I had been leaning toward giving the plant a break so the seed would be stronger. I don't know what is the right thing to do with that. This is the first year I have tried to save seed.

      Delete