Thursday, March 13, 2014

Happy International Pi Day!

Pi(e) are square!


March 14 is International Pi Day (3.14, get it?)

This year, I taught the kids about circle math terms (circumference, diameter, radius and area). I taught them the symbol of pi. I showed them how to measure around any circular object, then cut the yarn into approximate thirds. Then I showed them how this always makes the diameter.

We talked about how the number of pi is a constant in mathematical problems, and talked a little about "Area equals pi r squared."

And I made my grandmother's secret homemade caramel pie recipe.

Pie. It makes anything a good day. :)

And you have to have a round one, since pi is about circles, right?


6 comments:

  1. Awesome. Simply awesome. I think the idea of educational pie is pretty brilliant. Happy Pi Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. We sure had fun with this. :)

      Delete
  2. It is so amazing how you come up with teaching your kids! I have forgotten what I learned about pi! Home schooling Moms have an advantage in being able to review things! Yummy pie I bet! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I didn't know about Pi Day until it was over!

    ReplyDelete