Monday, September 2, 2013

Harvest Monday Labor Day Edition

This has been an excessively rainy this summer. From July 1st to August 18 (when my rain gauge broke) I recorded 23.5 inches of rain in my own backyard. This has not been positive for the garden. Almost everything rotted and/or molded.

I had planted okra and Mississippi Cream peas for summer crops. Both of these plantings hung in there through the excessive rainfall. But neither one produced much.
I tried 3 types of okra this year. From left to right: Eagle Pass,
Stewart's Zeebest and Stelley.
Now that the rain has returned to a more reasonable level, I am getting some okra and a little Mississippi Cream peas.

I wanted to taste several different types of okra. My family really likes okra. Last year I grew Clemson Spineless, but I wanted an okra that would taste good at a larger size than finger length. I was also looking for something that would bear more prolifically than the Clemson Spineless did. (And, let's be honest, everybody grows Clemson Spineless. I wanted something a little different.)

All three have a good flavor. My middle daughter just loves the shape and size of Eagle Pass. When they are cut crosswise, they look like little stars. The Stelley (at the right) has not been very productive in the deluge of rain. In fact several of the Stelley plants died. 

The Stewart's Zeebest plants all lived through the summer. They produced a little and kept going. None of the plants were as happy as they would have been with less rain, but the Stewart's Zeebest was the star performer in my garden. The pods in the middle were the size I always picked the Stewart's Zeebest, and without fail they were tender and tasty. They were also much more productive than either of the other plants, and much more able to withstand the testings the weather gave us.

I will definitely grow Stewart's Zeebest again. I want to thank Dave from Our Happy Acres. He grew them last year and reported it to Harvest Monday's.  I am very grateful that he reported his experiences with this plant. It is just what I wanted for my own garden, and I would never have thought to plant it if he had not had such glowing things to say about it.

I am linking with Harvest Mondays, hosted by Daphne from Daphne's Dandelions. Hop on over and see what others are harvesting. 

6 comments:

  1. That is a lot of rain. We got 3 inches in July and only 1.7 in August. So we are way under our usual rainfall. I hope this month we get a little over to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are just glad to see the sun this year, but it is just as terrible to garden in a drought. So far, August has been sunnier for us, and I am glad. It felt like it rained all summer.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, that is a lot of rain! We had 9" in June and the garden didn't like that too much. I grew Zeebest last year, but didn't get around to planting it this year. Next year it needs to come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dave, for letting me know about Zeebest. I love it! I have added your link now that I know to whom to give the credit. :)

      Delete
  3. My okra did not produce much this year either, I think it has to do with the weather. Going to try Zeebest next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, next year will be a better year for both of us.

      Delete