Saturday, August 4, 2012

Amazing Recipe for Salsa From Alabama Cooperative Extension System


I posted about comparing home-canned salsa recipes here and here. 

Surprisingly, I discovered that my favorite flavor of salsa was not the most beautiful. Several blog readers asked for a recipe. Here it is. (And thank you for reading my blog.)

Just to recap my opinions about this recipe, I found that of the three I made it had the best flavor. It is very loose and juicy, perhaps even runny. It is not thick. 

I followed the recipe as written, except that I doubled it after I made it the first time. This is the doubled recipe. 

Tomato Salsa (using slicing tomatoes) 
This recipe is from printed recipes I received from our local Alabama Cooperative Extension System when I requested them.

8 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
4 cups seeded, chopped green peppers
1 cup chopped jalapeno peppers (with seeds makes it hotter, without makes it milder)
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
8 to 9 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups vinegar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablesppons oregano leaves
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
3 teaspoons salt

Combine all ingredients in a large non-reactive saucepan and bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. 

Yield: 8 pints. 

Enjoy. Try not to eat it all the first week. :) 

4 comments:

  1. Excellent! Now that I have the courage to can I will have to try this one. I have only tried Annie's salsa so far. I love cumin so I may like this better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cumin, too. And we are really enjoying this recipe of our canned salsas.

      Delete